cubus engineering

“Goethe” Institute, Thessaloniki – Building B

“Goethe” Institute, Thessaloniki – Building B

The Project

Earthquake rehabilitation and fire protection

 

In 2015, all three buildings of the Goethe-Institute Thessaloniki were upgraded, under the direction of the Federal Office for Building and Regional Planning, in particular under the aspects of seismic safety and fire protection. The work took place during ongoing operation and could be completed within the planned time and budget, due to the close and trusting cooperation between project management, planning team, users and general contractors.

 

The Goethe-Institute Thessaloniki has been housed since 2001 in three buildings of a spacious property south of the city center. Originally the German School was located here. The ensemble with the main building, built around 1930, a landmarked house and a multiply extended newer building is grouped around the courtyard and the garden.

 

Construction began in March 2015 and was completed in November 2015. In 2016, the garden of the Goethe-Institute was also redesigned.

 

Structural situation

 

The most important reasons for the 2015 interventions were the overdue seismic retrofitting of all buildings as well as the necessary measures for fire protection, especially in the main building. The limestone and brick structures were heavily eroded and suffered from repeated earthquakes. The working group of the architect Dr. Thomas Greve and the structural engineer Dr. Antonis Kanellopoulos took over the planning and implementation of the project.

 

 

Retrofit of the listed building

 

First of all, the listed building with café and guest room was extensively gutted for seismic retrofitting and rebuilt with reuse of the existing building components, from the interior doors to the wooden staircase. Due to specifications of the monument protection, individual elements such as the roof and the windows were put into the supposed original state. For this reason, the designation of a large seminar room was approved on the ground floor. The seismic upgrading of the façade was carried out by an internal shotcrete jacket, while the ceilings were constructed as reinforced concrete composite structures.

 

Completion of the renovation work

 

In November 2015, the Goethe-Institute Thessaloniki celebrated its 60th anniversary in refurbished premises, which are now structurally, technically and creatively equipped for its growing role as the city’s internationally networked cultural pole.

In the course of an art project and in cooperation with the planner, a garden was created on the grounds of the Goethe-Institute in 2016, in addition to the interventions carried out

Location
Thessaloniki

Date
2015

Owner

Embassy of Federal Republic of Germany

Architect
PLAN EE – Dr. Thomas Greve

Contractor
Plethron-Cers

Our Scope of Works
Tender, Preliminary, Final Design, Construction Design, Site Supervision

Characteristic images

Project location

Share this project

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

Similar projects

Listed Building, Emm. Mpenaki, Athens; Denkmalgeschütztes Gebäude, Emm. Mpenaki, Athen; Διατηρητέο Κτίριο, Emm. Mpenaki, Αθήνα

Listed Building, Emm. Mpenaki, Athens

A heritage-listed building in the center of Athens, consisting of basement, ground floor, 1st and 2nd floor and an attic, is being renovated and converted into a shop and 4 apartments on the floors.

Listed Building, Eressou, Athens

Listed Building, Eressou, Athens

Neo-Classical listed building of the 1930s in Exarchia, in the center of Athens, with walls of stone masonry. It consists of a basement, a ground floor and a first floor and is to be completely rebuilt in relation to the supporting structure and E-M installations and used as a family residence.

Listed Building, Aeolou, Athens

Listed Building, Aeolou, Athens

Two neo-classical, heritage-listed buildings of the 1920s and 1930s, located in the center of Athens, on a busy shopping street in Aiolou Street, will be renovated, connected and internally redesigned to be used as shops and offices

Winery, Zakynthos Isle

Winery, Zakynthos Isle

An old winery with stone walls on the island of Zakynthos, whose renovation and restoration was demanded in 2006.

Folk Museum, Andritsaina

Folk Museum, Andritsaina

The Folklore Museum of the historic town of Andritsaina, on the borders of the prefectures of Ilia and Arcadia, in the Peloponnese, near the famous temple of Epicurios Apollo, a work of Pheidias, built after the Parthenon.

Historical Tower, Kalavryta

Historical Tower, Kalavryta

The historic monument preserved to this day is the 17th-century Petmeza Castle in Kalavryta, which played an important role in the revolutions of 1770 and 1821, referring to historical books as a warrior’s residence and battlefield.