The Project

It is a corporate and banking office building in Kefalari, Kifissia, which has a reinforced concrete skeleton.

The building was used until 1980 as a hotel.

In 1984 it was redesigned architecturally, respecting its original architectural style.

A part of it built in 1956 – indeed – was demolished and rebuilt at that time.

The building consists of two separate buildings with ground floor, three additional floors and a basement section.

The two buildings are divided by a separation-joint.

The older building was built in 1956 and covers about 60% of the total surface and the newest was built in 1984.

In 2012, during the re-construction of the 1st floor in the oldest building, the “live” loads increased.

After we studied the strength adequacy of the existing older building, the need for statics and earthquake resistance strengthening of this part of the building came up.

The strengthening had to be done only on the first floor, as – at the same time – the building would function fully in the rest of the premises.

The solution suggested the strengthening of the three reinforced concrete frames – with a 16-meter span each – of the first floor to support the three overlying storeys and to hang the ground floor ceiling from them.

It was the only way not to intervene in the rest of the premises.

However, the columns on the front side of the building, at the ground floor level also required strengthening and there no significant cross-section enlargement was allowed, for architectural aesthetics reasons.

The strengthening of the reinforced concrete frames ultimately increased the total resistance of the building to an earthquake – although this was not the main objective of the intervention.

In order to strengthen the frames, we suggested – first – making their reinforced concrete structural elements into composite ones through adding structural steel elements and second confining the existing reinforced concrete structural elements with structural steel elements and jacketing the reinforced concrete columns with steel – sheets by ensuring the full cooperation of the two materials.

Non-shrinking high strength mortar was used to fill the voids.

Lots of anchor extraction tests, as well as measurement tests of the post-tensioned bolts’ strength were conducted.

In addition, weld quality checks were performed by a specialists’ workshop.

The columns were confined with integral steel-sheet jackets, acquiring multiple strength and ductility.

To some beams there were added reinforcement: either carbon-lamellar reinforcement or steel-jacket type.

In some masonry walls, “steel-profile” frames with “X-shape” bracings have been added.

The building has suffered no architectural alteration and it features an example of the capability to make invisible “surgical” interventions in listed buildings.



John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation



Our Scope of Works
Preliminary, Final Design, Construction Design, Site Supervision

[xyz-ips snippet="Show-Tags"]

Characteristic images

Project location

Share this project

Similar projects

Listed Building, Emm. Mpenaki, Athens

A heritage-listed building in the center of Athens, consisting of basement, ground floor, 1st and 2nd floor and an attic, is being renovated and converted into a shop and 4 apartments on the floors.

Listed Building, Eressou, Athens

Neo-Classical listed building of the 1930s in Exarchia, in the center of Athens, with walls of stone masonry. It consists of a basement, a ground floor and a first floor and is to be completely rebuilt in relation to the supporting structure and E-M installations and used as a family residence.

Listed Building, Aeolou, Athens

Two neo-classical, heritage-listed buildings of the 1920s and 1930s, located in the center of Athens, on a busy shopping street in Aiolou Street, will be renovated, connected and internally redesigned to be used as shops and offices

Winery, Zakynthos Isle

An old winery with stone walls on the island of Zakynthos, whose renovation and restoration was demanded in 2006.

Folk Museum, Andritsaina

The Folklore Museum of the historic town of Andritsaina, on the borders of the prefectures of Ilia and Arcadia, in the Peloponnese, near the famous temple of Epicurios Apollo, a work of Pheidias, built after the Parthenon.

Historical Tower, Kalavryta

The historic monument preserved to this day is the 17th-century Petmeza Castle in Kalavryta, which played an important role in the revolutions of 1770 and 1821, referring to historical books as a warrior’s residence and battlefield.

cubus engineering

cubus engineering
7, Themistokli Sofouli Str.

154 51, Neo Psychiko
Athens, Greece

Contact Information

Tel.: 0030 210 6722360, 366, 389
Fax: 0030 210 6722 382